Thursday 18 January 2018

A Little Altar Plaque/ Tile for Imbolc & Ostara

Small, round reversible altar plaque/tile to celebrate Imbolc and Ostara

No automatic alt text available.

Well of course I couldn't resist a little play with the pyrography again today! This time I worked with a beautiful small Beech wood roundel. It's such a beautiful wood to burn on, smooth and close grained, it doesn't give me any of the problems you get with open grained and resinous woods such as pine.

So, it was my idea to make a little something for Imbolc. The first Sabbat in the Gregorian calendar year, which is usually celebrated each year around February 2nd . Imbolc has ssociations with the goddess Brigid (pronounced Breed), light & candles, milk, and the returning of the sun after the dark winter months showing the early signs that Spring is on it's way.

An obvious choice for me was to use a variation of Brigid's cross. Usually depicted or created as a four pointed cross, usually woven from straw or reed in a similar fashion to traditional 'corn dollies.'

As these little rounds of wood are so lush I obviously couldn't resist burning something on the reverse side too so I came up with a cunning plan! Originally my thinking was to create eight round tiles to celebrate each of the eight Sabbats, so I thought why not have two of the Sabbats per tile, genius eh!

Reverse image to celebrate Ostara 

No automatic alt text available.

The sabbat of Ostara, falls at the Spring Equinox around 21st of March. Symbols of fertility and new life are often used to mark this Sabbat, when the fullness of Spring has finally begun to drive off the dark ravages of wintertime. Hares, lambs, chicks and eggs are often used as motifs for this festival and there can be no doubt that the modern day celebration of Easter has taken taken this on board, after all we are no stranger to Easter bunnies, and chocolate Eggs, YUM!

My take on Ostara sticks with this theme, with the hare/rabbit symbolizing fertility and the nest of eggs marking the beginnings of new life.... there is some interesting mythology regarding the Hare laying eggs.... but I'll leave you to discover that for yourself if you are curious enough!

I think that I will possibly put some words on the edge of the plaque as it has a decent enough space. Which of course means I'll have to get my brain in gear, so don't panic if you hear a whirring sound sometime soon! 

Anyhoo! I guess that's enough rambling from me for today. I'm going to have to sort out the designs for the remaining six sabbats....  so, I will of course, post updates as and when the creations appear! Thanks for popping by, see you again soon! xxx 






No comments:

Post a Comment

A Little Giveaway to Welcome the Spring!

Hello lovely people, as promised here's a little Giveaway to welcome the springtime! To Enter all you have to do is post a comment...