Wednesday 17 January 2018

A Happy & Creative New Year to All and A New Blog for Me!

Well here it is, the first post of my new blog!
I'm quite excited.... I've had a couple of arty craftsy blogs before, but eventually life got in the way which meant that I didn't have time to be creative, let alone write a blog. It was a shame, but that was then, and well, time has moved on and I'm back to being creative and finding a bit more 'Me Time', so I've decided to create a brand new blog to celebrate.

I'm hoping it will be a bit like a crafting/creative journal for me and maybe there will be something of interest for you? Who Knows!

One of the crafts that has really captured my interest of late is pyrography (the art or technique of decorating wood, leather and other materials by burning a design onto the surface with a heated metallic point). I'd never done any before but a friend of mine does Solar Pyrography (using a magifying glass and the sun to burn designs onto wood). So I ended up having a go!
I liked the technique but unfortunately for me I like to be creative when I feel like it, so with our lovely English weather not always playing ball it wasn't quite right for me. Anyhoo.... not to be put off, I did a bit of research on the web and found that the tool I needed to give me all year round pyrography. So I now have a variable temperature pyrography pen and no longer have to wait for the Sun to put his hat on! (Peter Child is the make or pyrography machine if you are interested). Below are a few bits I've created in the last month or so. I will be putting most of my creations into my Etsy shop as I go, but will probably preview them here first!

A small wooden box with running hare and crescent moon motif.



A little decorative hanging  running hare with beads and ribbons.


So as you can imagine I've been buying various plain wooden items so that I can decorate them to within an inch of their life. It gets quite addictive you know... I find myself having to drag myself away from my craft room because it's silly o'clock.., these days there is always the faint smell of woodsmoke trailing after me! 

I've also found that because the pyrography pen that I use has variable temperature it enables me to draw and shade as I would with pencils, giving a lovely sepia toned finished to the 'drawings'. 
Below is an A4 picture burnt onto 3mm Beech wood ply. It has now gone to it's new 'Mum', my dear friend Becky who is mad on dragons. It was a Yule gift, which she's just getting framed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a frame and in situ when I go up to see her at a couple of weeks time. 
Now I've got to come up with an idea for little gift for her, for Imbolc.

Fly Me to the Moon A4 on Beech wood ply sheet.



I'm going to try to keep the posts regular so please pop by to see what's been brewing....mmm .. that makes me think of a nice hot cuppa! Have fun, be creative and I hope to see you again soon! xxx

P.S. There's going to be a collaborative giveaway occurring shortly.... stay tuned for more details!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Little Giveaway to Welcome the Spring!

Hello lovely people, as promised here's a little Giveaway to welcome the springtime! To Enter all you have to do is post a comment...